St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Catholic School has two starting points. The school of today resulted from the merging of Holy Spirit School and St. Anthony School. Both schools had rich histories of their own, which have now been folded together into one.
Saint Anthony School
St. Anthony School opened it's doors in the Fall of 1921. For nearly 80 years the building located at 2410 First Street North, St. Cloud, Minnesota, was the site of St. Anthony of Padua Catholic Church and School. The church was located in the basement of the building, and the school used the two upper floors. In 2001, the parish built a new church directly across the street from this building, allowing the original building to serve as a stand-alone school.
Holy Spirit Church and School
Holy Spirit Church and School opened it's doors to serve St. Cloud's South Side families in 1950, operating out of the current school building, located at 1615 11th Avenue South. In 1999 the parish built a new church, located at 2405 Walden Way, which allowed the school to expand into the entire building.
Combined to create St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Catholic School.
In 1995 the schools of Holy Spirit and St. Anthony merged, and a new name was chosen for the combined school.St. Elizabeth Ann Seton was the first native born American to be canonized by the Catholic Church. She founded the first Catholic school in America, and the new school was incorporated in her name. Originally the two school buildings split the students, with Holy Spirit School hosting Preschool through Grade 3, and St. Anthony welcoming Grades 4,5, and 6. In the Spring of 2009 all students were moved under one roof, in the original Holy Spirit School building.